Thursday, May 7, 2009

Develop for the iPhone or for Android?

I am a happy iPhone owner last month I decided to learn how to make my own apps. I already made a couple of expiremental iPhone apps, when suddenly I got really curious: What is it like to program using Google's Android SDK, versus Apple's iPhone SDK? How much time will it take to build the same apps for using the two different SDKs? What will it take to 'publish' my apps with Google? What are the pluses and shortcomings of the two SDKs when compared to each other? At that point it was clear to me that rather than just follow the hype and continue investing my time building apps for the iPhone, I owe to myself to do some due diligence before choosing. And if I decide to give Android a real try, I can't wait to get my hands on the Android-powered, unlocked, Developer's version phone. But before I start charging my credit card I would be very interested to see what peopel think about the pros and cons of developing for either platform, so please do leave a comment if you like. Also, check out this interesting article that compares the different features of the two, but does not address effort and process as it relates to developers.

No comments: